18 Mar UK Food Group – volunteer opportunity
The UK Food Group has an opportunity for a volunteer to assist the network’s coordinator, particularly around fundraising from charitable trusts.
The UK Food Group is the main network of NGOs in the UK working on global food, farming and hunger issues. It includes development, environment, farming and academic groups.
An outline of the volunteer’s role
Starting as soon as possible, we are looking for someone who can volunteer* for one day a week, ideally for three months. You will be providing support to the network coordinator, including tasks such as:
– securing funding from charitable trusts for the network to work on supporting smallholder investment in agriculture
– compiling case studies on agroecology from members
– putting together a newsletter for the UK food sovereignty movement
– helping update content for the UK Food Group’s forthcoming new website
– general network admin, including helping to organise meetings and respond to enquiries
You would be volunteering at the UK Food Group’s base in the office of our sister network, Sustain, which is close to Angel Tube station in central London.
Desirable skills and interests
– knowledge of international development and global food system issues
– experience of writing grant applications and researching funding opportunities
– ability to work independently
– computer literacy
– good interpersonal skills
If you are interested in volunteering please:
– email your CV to ukfg [at] ukfg.org.uk
– in the covering email please outline:
– what you feel that you can bring to the network, including your relevant skills and experience
– what you hope to get out of volunteering with the network
– for how many months you will be available
Applications close on Tuesday 2 April and shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the end of that week to be invited for an informal interview.
* The successful applicant’s relationship with the UK Food Group would be as an unpaid volunteer and there is no intention of forming any employment relationship. If carrying out tasks in the Sustain office for five or more hours in a given day, we can reimburse a volunteer’s receipted out-of-pocket expenses for lunch (up to £4) and travel to/from the office (up to £6).
We encourage applications from anyone with relevant skills and interests, but regret that we are unable to offer any payment or expenses beyond those outlined above. We are not able to assist with finding accommodation or with visa applications.