CALL FOR COMMENTARIES
Submission Due June 5, 2013
2,500 words maximum
Edited but not peer-reviewed; query form required
The Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development soliciting commentaries on food systems research priorities for the next five years. Farm and consumer organizations, research groups, agencies, and any other stakeholders are encouraged to prepare commentaries on what they feel are the key applied research priorities for the community development aspects of food systems. We are interested in helping fill gaps in research and the literature, and this call for commentaries is intended as a way to solicit ideas for research over the next few years.
Consider networking with colleagues or kindred organizations to produce a joint commentary that briefly reviews the current literature and then identifies specific research gaps, needs, and/or opportunities. These priorities can cover one particular issue or component of food systems, or cover a more broad range of issues. Examples of topical areas might include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Community-based sustainable production
- Organizing value chains, food hubs, webs, networks and the like
- Agriculture of the middle
- Land use, farmland protection, farm-neighbor relations
- Food security, justice, sovereignty
- Community food waste reduction, and recycling
- Community development techniques, strategies, approaches to food systems work
- Food systems development pedagogy
- Issues of gender, race, and power
- Metrics and indicators of progress and impact
Please submit a query to Duncan Hilchey that outlines the focus of your commentary as well as prospective collaborators.
The Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development(a.k.a. the Food Systems Journal; ISSN 2152-0801) is an online international, peer-reviewed publication focused on the practice and applied research interests of agriculture and food systems development professionals and scholars.