The Sociological Review just posted some great resources for early career sociologists.
- Deborah Lupton offers 30 tips for successful research and writing
- Athene Donald explains why helping PhD students with career planning is the responsibility of supervisors and universities.
- Pat Thomson’s blog is full of useful guidance about writing, research and careers.
- Nadine Muller’s blog offers lots of helpful ideas about surviving the job search and balancing work with life.
- Academic Diary by Les Back contains many thoughtful reflections on scholarship and the meaning of the academic life.
- This podcast discussion between Les Back and Howard Becker provides an illuminating perspective on how to keep your sociological imagination alive in circumstances that aren’t always conducive to it.
- Howard Becker’s Writing for Social Scientists is an excellent guide to writing but much more besides.
- From Postgraduate to Social Scientist edited by Nigel Gilbert offers guidance on those aspects of becoming a social scientist which often don’t get taught.